According to the World Health Organization’s 2017 report,
“Safe drinking-water is water that does not represent any significant
risk to health over a lifetime of consumption, including different sensitivities that may occur between life stages.”
Note: There is a difference between pure water and Safe drinking water. Safe water is pure water along with required minerals for proper regulation of body functions.
Need for Drinking Safe water:
- As many of you may know that a healthy human adult body consists of 55-65 percent of water, while in new born babies it goes up to a ringing 78 percent.
- An average adult loses 2-2.5 litres of water everyday
- To maintain water levels in our body and prevent ourselves from dehydrating it is suggested to drink 6-8 glasses (1.5 – 2.0 litres) of water every day and remaining will be covered by the food and beverages we take.
- We know earth has lot of water, but what we don’t know is about 97% of earth’s water is salty or undrinkable, out of remaining 3 percent, 2 percent is locked up in ice caps. Thus making it <1% of earth’s water available for human needs which involves agricultural, residential, manufacturing, community, and personal needs.
- Water is a very good solvent. It can dissolve many salts which are not good for our health.
- Drinking unsafe water may cause many diseases like diarrheal diseases, including Cholera, Typhoid, Dysentery etc.;
- With increasing pollution levels, it becomes a necessary to check for the quality of the drinking water we drink.
How to ensure we are drinking safe water??
- There are mainly 2 sources of drinking water Bottled water and Tap Water
- Many people think that bottled water is always safe to drink. But it’s not true.
- Surveys say that around 25 percent of bottled water are just tap water.
- So when you are drinking bottled water make sure that it is from a trusted source.
- But it’s not practical to spend money on bottled water every day.
- As the world is developing, in many cities across the world tap Water is almost good enough to drink. But in many places it is not yet.
- So the best way to make sure that we drink safe water is by installing a good water filter in our home.
“Pure Water is First and Foremost medicine”